Beat the Cold is a Staffordshire based charity, whose aim is to reduce fuel poverty, and cold related ill health with over 20 years experience in energy advice and support. Beat the Cold is committed to helping those who live in, or are at risk of fuel poverty, or whose health could be detrimentally affected by a cold home.
Support includes advice on:
- Applying for free or low-cost insulation;
- Improving energy efficiency and using your heating system the best way – to reduce cost and waste;
- Paying for fuel – finding the best tariff and switching companies;
- The Warm Home Discount and Priority Service Registers;
- Fuel debt;
- Referral to agencies that specialise in checking benefits;
- Renewables, such as solar pv, solar thermal, heat pumps; and the ways to make them pay.
All visits are by appointment only. Advisers are trained to give energy advice; they follow agency policies on safeguarding children and vulnerable adults; and they are all subject to an enhanced CRB check.
Support goes beyond advice, and can include:
- Looking for the best way to pay for fuel that suits the household;
- Checking meter readings and bills;
- Negotiating with fuel companies over debts and payments;
- Referral to other schemes;
- Supporting with paperwork and helping to write letters;
- Following up to check on progress.